Now summer is here and we are all enjoying wonderful walks and garden playtime, we thought it would be useful to just review a list of some of the plants that may be toxic to your dog. Keep your dogs safe this summer and Enjoy some photos of dogs having fun in the garden!

1

Our curious canines are often spotted sniffing and chewing on plants. Although most plants are safe, some can be very dangerous and even fatal. Whether it’s your garden, in-door plants, those in the wild, or flowers from the florist, do you know what’s safe for your pets?

SS851541

Here are some of the more commonly spotted plants you should keep away from your pets:

Aloe, American Holly, Apple, Apricot, Baby’s Breath, Begonia, Bishop’s Weed, Branching Ivy, Buckwheat, Buttercup, Calla Lily, Carnation, Chamomile, Cherries, Clematis, Climbing Nightshade, Daffodil, Dahlia, Daisy, Fig, Gardenia, Garden Hyacinth, Garlic, Geranium, Grapefruit, Hibiscus, Holly, Hosta, Hydrangea, Iris, Lemon, Lime, Macadamia Nuts, Morning Glory, Mum, Orange, Peach, Periwinkle, Poinsettia, Portulaca, Rhubarb, St. John’s Wort, Sweet Pea, Tulip, Yellow Oleander.  For more information on toxic and non-toxic plants for dogs visit the ASPCA’s website HERE.

image

What happens if your pet ingests a poisonous plant? Symptoms can vary from diarrhea, nausea, skin allergies to depression, abnormal urination, vomiting, difficult breathing, salivation and weakness.  If you suspect that your dog might have eaten a toxic plant contact your vet immediately and local Poison Control Center.

Flower child 1

How can you prevent this? Ask your vet or check out suggestions from the ASPCA or the animal science department at Cornell University (like switching their diet to one with higher vegetable fibers to deter cravings for plants). Watch your dog’s behaviour while on walks and don’t let your dog munch on vegetation, unless you are sure its harmless. Plant a safe garden so your dog is free to roam around and you won’t have to worry about what they are getting their nose into.

flower back ground

In order to prevent poisoning by cut flowers or by in-door plants, avoid placing toxic ones in your home or have them well out of reach of your pets!

pugfixed

After a long summer day playing outside its nice to just hit the couch in a cool spot and chill out!

Happy Wordless Wednesday! Join the Blog Hop Here and Share:

Bonus Pet Safety Blog Hop:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*


*

2 Comments

  • So many adorable doggies! Great message. When the doggies came into my life, I had to rehome many indoor plants, and I learned that many of our yard plants are toxic. We supervise very closely.

  • So right to remind people about the long lists of unsafe plants there are out there. Whatever country you live in!