Do You Love Wiener Dogs? Try Making Treats Like These For Your Dog
Kilo the Pug is a rescue with a few issues. Kilo is very food motivated and will work for kibble but his favourite reward? All beef hot dogs! He absolutely loves them and will literally do back flips.
They are a little too much salt and fat for every day, but they always make the list as birthday party snacks.
These little Hot Dog Treats look adorable and are super easy and yummy if you want to make them for your dog.
Dachshund or Wiener Dog Inspiration
Dachshunds are also known as wiener dogs or wieners, after their long body shape. I am a loyal pug parent but I find the dachshund breed pretty darn cute.
We’ve featured many incredible dachshunds like Arthur the blind rescue and Blue the dumpster rescue in our Rescues Rock series, and like to support Wienerfest for their rescue organisation. We also featured our fit blogging pals from Seattle, You Did What With Your Weiner in Fit Dogs Rock and love working with our fellow Canadian super nice superstar Crusoe the Celebrity Dachshund to name a few.
DOG LICKS recipes for birthday parties
All our DOG LICKS recipes are dog-friendly and look like dogs. Kids can eat them too with slight adjustments. Today’s DOG LICKS recipe is dedicated to the short, long and sweet dog breed, the dachshund or wiener dog using Kilo’s favourite treat, the wiener or hot dog.
These are perfect for doggy birthday parties or kids parties and snacks. If making for kids, replace the kibble with blueberries or dabs of condiments like ketchup or mustard or even pieces of cheese.
Total Time: 6 minutes
Prep: 5 minutes
Yield: 4 treats
Difficulty: Super Easy
- 1 hot dog (I use the healthiest all beef ones I can find)
- 3 kibble pieces
- Dog Safe Peanut Butter
- Microwave a hot dog for 1 minute and let cool enough to touch.
- Cut the hot dog into thirds.
- Taking both ends, cut them in half lengthwise down the middle.
- Use the centre third of the hot dog to create 4 sets of ears and 4 tongues.
- Cut a slit at the bottom of the hot dog for the muzzle, about one-quarter of the way up from the bottom.
- Add a small piece of hotdog inside the slit to create the tongue.
- Place the face hot dog on the plate with the rounded end as the top of the head.
- Put ears on either side, secure with peanut butter.
- Add a small piece of hotdog into the slit to create a tongue.
- Secure eyes and nose kibble with peanut butter.
Do you love Dachshunds or Wieners?
Share your favourite dog inspired recipes or any photos of your “Hot Dog Wiener Dog Treats” in the comments below.
Disclaimer: Please note that I am just having fun with these Dog Licks Recipes, making food that looks like cute pups and that my dog, my kids and I can enjoy. I am not an expert, a chef, a vet or a nutritionist, so it’s advisable to consult with your own authority when trying new foods, and also to ensure that your dog’s or your child’s diet is balanced and appropriate & includes all of the nutrients that are necessary for good health.